“And Make Yourselves a New Heart and a New Spirit”
September 1958, the New City Jewish Center was founded by a small group of Jewish families who wanted to be able to worship in their own town. An old house, located on what is now our lower parking lot, was bought and refurbished to provide a sanctuary on the first floor and an office for the rabbi and 3 classrooms for the Hebrew school on the second floor. During the renovation period, religious services and Hebrew school were conducted in the New City Firehouse. As we grew in numbers, we needed more space for the High Holidays and a huge tent was rented. In the tent it was alternately hot and muggy or cold and damp. A campaign was started to build a permanent building, now known as the Karsch Chapel (and its environs), all under the aegis of Dr. Robert Sher, z"l.
This first building was large, beautiful, and well equipped with rooms for worship and a school, and with a kitchen and clerical offices. However, not surprisingly, we began to outgrow this building in less time than it takes to tell and work on the Langerman Sanctuary was begun, such to be completed and dedicated by 1985.
Several renovations have helped enlarge our space since then, the Rita Eilbaum Youth Lounge and the Henry Sosland Nursery School Wing being two of the largest. It would seem that huge renovations are things of the past but smaller adjustments continue to make our space more usable.
May we all continue to grow from strength to strength.